NEAR CLIFTON PARK, HALFMOON, MALTA, SCHENECTADY AND SARATOGA, NY
The Edison Club is member owned. In addition to attracting those who love golf, it has always been welcoming to families. On summer afternoons, our four clay tennis courts and Olympic-sized swimming pool are alive with the sounds of adults and children enjoying these healthful activities.
Private Golf Courses, Swimming, Tennis & More...
Along with golf leagues and tournaments, for both adults and juniors, the club has tennis leagues and expert instruction, as well as a championship swim team.
Banquet Halls & Wedding Venue
We also offer fine dining and casual eating experiences. After playing, have a drink in our cozy barroom or out on the sunny patio. Enjoy lunch and dinner, choosing from an extensive menu.
We have designed the club to be a great getaway.
THE CLUB’S HISTORY
Employees of General Electric first conceived the idea of The Edison Club in 1903. Records show that a plan was formulated during a barroom discussion while these employees were waiting for a train in Garrison, New York.
Mr. J.E. Brobst, Mr. A.R. Tanner and Mr. R.R. Earle were the GE employees responsible for this brainstorm. A "men's club" would serve as a place to meet socially and develop the friendships that had been growing in their business relationships. Golf was not part of the original plan.
(The club would come to be named after Thomas Alva Edison, the most prominent inventor of the early 20th century, who spent many years working at GE in Schenectady. There is not any documentation of Mr. Edison's involvement in the formation of the club.)
The idea of building a golf club was proposed by Mr. O.D. Young. Agreements were completed in 1925 between the General Electric Company and The Edison Club whereby the company's interest in making the advantages of a modern country club available to its professional and management employees was realized.
On July 2, 1925, the Washington Avenue property was turned over to GE and the present country club was opened. Initially the club consisted of an 18-hole golf course, four tennis courts, a combination locker house and recreational area, and a clubhouse that was later called 'The Annex." The grand opening of the golf course occurred on August 21, 1926, with a special foursome commencing play on temporary greens. The first Club Champion was J. McArthur.